Skip to main content

Mean Peas

I did something silly. I'm finishing up some behavioral changes for an aquatic creature that I'm about to release, called a water pea. For fun, I've been playing with different ideas to show the player interesting behaviors. One of those was teaching water peas to be territorial.

The way to teach a program to "learn" to do anything is called training. It simply means having the program recognize incorrect (undesired) behaviors, and reinforcing positive behaviors. Over time, the program starts combining a multitude of desired behaviors to produce results that were never explicitly programmed in. These results can be...surprising.

I eventually had peas that would fight to protect "their" area of the water tank. But water peas also form friendships, and they won't fight their friends. At least, that was the plan. Most territorial peas simply stayed in their area, along with their friends, and any poor pea that happened to wander by would be killed.

I noticed that in one corner of the tank was a single, large water pea named Bup. He hadn't formed any friendships. In order to make friends, water peas have to meet each other first, but this pea was so aggressive that it killed any pea that it encountered before they could become friends. That's not so bad, but this water pea unexpectedly decided to wander out of its territory, yet continued to remain territorial wherever it went. After awhile, there was a single, solitary, big, mean water pea left in the tank with bodies littering the bottom.


I tried to create a large group of aggressive peas who were all friendly with one another in order to fend off Bup. One by one, he killed them all. While testing behaviors with other peas, I would continually move him to one corner of the tank, but he would somehow find and kill the peas I was working with while I wasn't watching.

Finally I had enough, and dropped Bup out of the tank, killing him. Ultimately, I removed the aggressive behavior system altogether. Water peas are meant to be kind, social little jellies. Except for Bup. He was the meanest pea I've ever seen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SQL Types

SQL Types The SQL Types mobile app for Android is now available. It is a quick reference for SQL Professionals and Database Developers.  SQL Types provides easy access to various database vendor supported data type documentation. Check it out on the Google Play store . Current supported database vendors: PostgreSQL Oracle SQL Server MySQL SQLite

Artificial behavior, or intelligence?

Artificial behavior is an area of research that seems to have been missed, or skipped over, on the path that companies like Google are taking to develop artificial intelligence. They have also jumped straight to working on human intelligence. Why not start smaller first? What about a cat or dog, or an insect? An insect may not seem very intelligent, and companies are probably not interested because they can't make much use of an artificial insect intelligence, but simple insects are quite complex. It is also quite probable that they have a consciousness, the thing that makes them "alive". Though we don't know what consciousness is, it is thought to arise naturally as a result of the complexity of the brain. The interesting thing is that, if this is so (and it likely is), then there is no difference between a "live" human and an artificial human, a computer program that mimics the human brain. They are the same thing. We can say the same, then, of someth...

Collisions with line intersections

Collisions can be determined by testing for line intersections. Imagine a line representing the ground and an object above, falling down. At time t1 , take the center point  p1  of the object. At time t2 , move the object down and take the center point p2 of the object. If the line formed by endpoints (p1, p2) intersect the ground line, a collision has occurred. On a collision, reset the object to its original position before the movement. When a collision occurs, be sure to reset the object by the same point used to determine the line intersection. In this example, I use the center point, so the object should be reset by the center point, not its actual x, y (usually top left) coordinate. It is not always the case that resetting by the x, y coordinate is sufficient. This can be seen in the following picture. It can be seen that even if the object isn't moving, but its size changes, a line intersection can occur, and resetting the object to its x, y position will...